A fan, who was rendered blind in one eye after being hit by a foul ball, has sued the Chicago Cubs.
A man who is now blind in one eye — at least temporarily — and may ultimately lose his eye after being struck in the face by a foul ball at Wrigley Field this summer has filed a lawsuit against the Chicago Cubs as well as Major League Baseball. The lawsuit alleges that the Cubs and MLB failed to implement requisite safety netting to protect himself and other fans from such incidents.
During Monday news conference John “Jay” Loos, 60, stated he’s undergone three surgeries in attempts to repair his severely-damaged left eye and the five facial bones shattered by a foul ball that struck him as he sat along the first-base line during a game between the Cubs and the Pittsburgh Pirates Aug. 29.
“I had no idea that you were subjected to such missiles,” said Roos, whose eye was heavily bandaged. “You could be there with a mitt and you wouldn’t have been able to react in time.”
With his lawsuit, Loos joins a vastly-expanding crowd of critics, who after recent incidents to urge MLB teams to extend safety netting farther down the baselines to protect fans sitting there, similar to netting that protects those fans sitting behind home plate. There was another incident last month at Yankee Stadium in New York, during which a 2-year-old was hit in the face by the ball off of a line drive foul.
“Fans are the life blood of Major League Baseball and there should be nothing more important than their safety,” exclaimed Loos, a resident of Schaumburg, a suburb of Chicago.
After the baby was struck in New York, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred said MLB had worked with teams to expand netting in ballparks in recent seasons and would “redouble our efforts on this important issue.”
A Cubs’ spokesman said the team had not seen the lawsuit. No long after the girl was struck in New York, Cubs President of Business Operations Crane Kenney claimed the team would extend netting already in place by at least another 30 feet down baselines. Monday, Loos’ attorney, Colin Dunn, said he’d contacted the Cubs and was encouraged by what was said. However, he did not elaborate.
“I have talked to them and I do believe that they will do the right thing for Jay.” said Dunn, whose lawsuit seeks damages of $50,000 at minimum. “I think they care about their fans.”