The World Health Organization has said that an untreatable form of Gonorrhea is spreading and becoming more common.
Gonorrhea is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases there is and anyone who is sexually active is at risk. Oral, vaginal, or anal sex places you at risk of contracting the disease. “The bacteria that cause gonorrhea are particularly smart. Every time we use a new class of antibiotics to treat the infection, the bacteria evolve to resist them,” said WHO’s Dr. Teodora Wi. Although Gonorrhea is not deadly the effects can be devastating as it can cause damage that can ruin the ability to have children in women and men.
According to the CDC, symptoms in men include:
– A burning sensation when urinating
– A white, yellow, or green discharge from the penis
– Painful or swollen testicles
Most women with gonorrhea do not have any symptoms. But they can include:
– Painful or burning sensation when urinating
– Increased vaginal discharge
– Vaginal bleeding between periods