‘DWTS’ got a bit scary Monday night, as controversial Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte was attacked by protesters.
At least one man stormed the stage and threw something at Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte during Monday’s live premiere of Dancing with the Stars, according to multiple reports.
Dancing with the Stars judge Carrie Ann Inabacould be seen on the footage telling somebody to get off the stage.
“Hey! Excuse me,” Inaba said as Lochte stood alongside his dancing partner, Cheryl Burke. “Back off!”
Host Tom Bergeron took the show to commercial and ABC didn’t broadcast what took place at or near the stage, but a person could be seen running in front of a camera.
Lochte brushed the side of his head and looked uneasy before the show cut to commercial.
“So many feelings are going through my head right now,” Lochte said in aDWTS interview afterward. “I’m a little hurt. I came out here and wanted to do something I am completely not comfortable with. I came out there with a big smile and have the best fan support here.”
The two men, Barzeen Soroudi and Sam Sotoodeh, were detained by security guards at CBS Television City, where DWTS is filmed, and held for police, Los Angeles police spokesman Mike Lopez told USA TODAY Sports. The two were taken into custody and face misdemeanor trespassing charges.
A tweet from ABC-7 in Los Angeles showed two men with their hands bound behind their backs with white shirts that had the name Lochte crossed out.
“Nobody was hurt and nobody was touched in the incident,” Lopez said.
The two men were taken to an LAPD station where they were were scheduled to be processed. If proper identification is provided and the men don’t have any outstanding warrants, Lopez said they would be released on their own recognizance.
Lochte joined the cast for Dancing with the Stars in the wake of his Rio Olympics scandal. The saga became the focus of the final several days of the Summer Games and resulted in USA Swimming banning Lochte for 10 months and sponsors abandoning the 12-time Olympic medalist.
Lochte and three other U.S. Olympic swimmers — Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen — stopped at a gas station in Rio de Janeiro and attempted to use the bathroom the early morning hours of Aug. 14. With the bathroom locked, the swimmers instead urinated behind the gas station. Lochte, who admitted to have been drinking, was accused of damaging a poster, which led to the confrontation with the guards.
Lochte initially said he had been robbed at gunpoint, a story he later admitted he embellished.
Rio authorities, however, claimed that Lochte and Feigen falsely claimed they were robbed to cover up a case of vandalism. A USA TODAY Sports investigation found one major claim by police — that the swimmer trashed a bathroom at the gas station — never took place since none of them were able to enter the locked bathroom. Neither Lochte nor Feigen was questioned by police about the alleged vandalism.
Lochte was charged by Brazilian police on Aug. 26 for filing a false report. Feigen paid a settlement to avoid facing the same charge, which allowed him to get his passport back and leave the country.